Friday, April 2, 2010

Cheap, Easy to Make Magnetic Needle Case



I've had a magnetic needle case for years that I love. It's big enough to hold my needles, scissors, small stitch holders and other whatnots I might need for a project and yet it isn't toooo big to be a nuisance. I dropped it and busted a hole in it, hence the hot pink duct tape. The hinges recently broke so I have to use a rubber band to keep it closed. Poor, sad needle safe.

Being the el cheapo that I am, I decided to make a new one.
Here's what I did:

Find yourself a hinged tin you like. I used an old Altoids tin but I'm thinking of actually splurging and buying a pretty one. Though for now my needles will be minty fresh.

I took 2 rectangular fridge magnets (advertisement magnets), trimmed them to fit the tin and glued them, advertisement side down, into the top and bottom of the tin.


Whallah! New needle case!

If you don't have fridge magnets, or you want a nicer tin, you can buy these items at your local craft store or online. I looked on online at A.C. Moore. They had a variety of cheap decorative tins and tins you can decorate yourself. Here's one for $2.19. I also think an antique or vintage tin would be wonderful. Here's a beautiful one listed on Etsy that's only $1.75.
A.C. Moore also sold the magnet sheets, one sheet would be big enough to make several tins. And they sell these business card magnet sheets with an adhesive back. No glue! You could have a needle safe in seconds! I think these would make nice gifts and I can think of lots of ways to personalize them.

Until next time...Knit...Purl...Rat!

No comments:

Post a Comment