Friday, April 16, 2010

Magnetic Needle Tin Update

I had an old tin lying around for years. It was my grandfather's and was full of old washers. It originally held crystalized ginger, which I think they ought to bring back in tins. To diverge, here's a great recipe for crystalized ginger if you are so inclined to make your own.

My research shows that this tin probably came from the early 1900's, though I can't conclusively verify that. In any event, I thought it would make a perfect magnetic needle case. It's the right size, I love how it looks and it's sentimental.

Here's how it came out. I really love it.













Tips for making your own needle tin: use fun foam as a padding for the magnet, glue it in first, it helps smooth out the magnet. Also, make sure you have the magnetic side up when you glue or your needles won't stick to it. (Yes, I glued it wrong side down first time, duh.) Make sure the tin is the size you want, think about how you will use it and where you will take it. The Altoids tin I first experimented with was too small for my embroidery scissors but it works well in my sewing room. I also made a tiny little tin to keep in my purse with a little bit of thread for emergencies, Altoids sells tiny mints in tiny tins now. And last, make sure the tin stays closed but is not too too difficult to open or your needles will go flying every time you open it.

If anyone makes one of these, I'd love to see it! Please post!

Until next time...Knit...Purl...Rat!

No comments:

Post a Comment