Monday, March 22, 2010

Say Hello to My Knitting

Today I had a doctor’s appointment with a doctor who is notorious for his long waiting time. This doctor’s office qualifies as a place where I always take my knitting. Today I took my yoga bag. I checked in and pulled out my knitting, not only to wile away the time, but also to speed it up as I know that as soon as I get to the most complex part of the pattern, my name will be called.

I happily started knitting. After a little bit, a lady across the room got up and asked to see my knitting. She wanted to know all about it; the pattern, the yarn, where I bought the yarn. She said she used to knit and thinks she will start up again. Then another lady piped in and said she wished she had brought her crochet with her. A man jumped into the fray and added that he couldn’t knit or crochet, but he wished he’d at least brought a book. Pretty soon the whole waiting room was in a discussion about long waits for doctors, knitting, crocheting and things you could do to pass the time. My knitting had helped a whole roomful of people to be less miserable about sitting around waiting to see a doctor. I got to the last cable repeat on a row, dropped my three stitches to turn the cable, and, true to form, the nurse called my name. My wait was up.

I am not a shy person. I am not self-conscious about knitting in public. I have had many fun, interesting and informative conversations when I have pulled out my knitting in public. I have made a few new friends. Knitting is a conversation starter. People are interested in knitting. So I say, make the world a happier place. Take your knitting with you and boldly pronounce, “Say hello to my knitting!” You will like the results.

Until next time...Knit...Purl...Rat!

2 comments:

  1. When I was at the doctor's office last week I pulled out my knitting and realized that I left the chart at home. Argh! I was such an impatient monster before knitting but now I enjoy the wait. Looking forward to more blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We blog alike! Love ur new site, good luck! I am following you on twitter as well. Please visit my site danamustknit.com, you might laugh at me as well! Knit on! xo Dana

    ReplyDelete